Monument record WSF 009 - Grundle Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0123 7348 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Med clamp kiln site thought by Basil Brown to be five kilns in area. Two were excavated lying on downward slope of bank of The Grundle, a hollow way. C15-C16 pottery and wasters found around and in kilns, both glazed and unglazed wares, most of which appear to be remains of jugs or pitchers. Under the red baked clay floor of the kilns, bricks were found - part of the structure and Brown mentions that these are similar to the Rye Kilns (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4). An iron spur, C14 type was recovered on the edge of one kiln and in 1955, whilst walking along The Grundle, Basil Brown found the remains of a bronze or brass bowl with rimmed foot, which had been washed out from the bank, period unknown.
During this excavation a further clamp kiln site and remains of Med building were found on Grundle Farm at TM 0116 7346 C, see WSF 012.
1991: Scatter of unglazed and part-glazed LMed and Transitional pottery (including pancheons, jug handles etc) noted (S5).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IV,106,108-110,132,133,135-138; XXIII, 6-8; XLI, 2,3; LI, 38,39; LXXI, 88-90,98,121,129; XC.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 963-87, 1963.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: kiln section, 1991 finds report sheet.
- <S3> SSF20692 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1955 (1), 44.
- <S5> SSF20973 Source Unchecked: 1991. Savery E, 1991. Savery E, 1991.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2021 1:33PM