Monument record WSF 012 - Grundle Farm

Please read our .

Summary

This Med site on Grundle Farm was located by Basil Brown when he partly excavated low wall on field in 1955 and again in 1945.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0116 7346 (120m by 135m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM07SW
Civil Parish WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (7)

Full Description

This Med site on Grundle Farm was located by Basil Brown when he partly excavated low wall on field in 1955 and again in 1945. This included large tooled stone embedded at floor level with a hole in it for drainage; Med pottery found. In August 1954, footing trenches were dug during erection of new house, and much C15-C16 pottery was found. Basil Brown started excavations and found a large 20 feet wide metalled road running E-W, with ditches on either side 6 feet wide x 4-5 feet deep. The road was made of chalk and marl with pieces of pottery rammed into the clay bed and the 4 foot wide base of the northern ditch had been paved with chalk and flint with dumps of pottery and wasters along it. The pottery was found in large amounts, both glazed and unglazed and was mixed with kiln wrappings and wasters - many boxes of which were excavated and stored at Watson's Potteries. Remains of a clamp kiln were found but only partly excavated due to land ownership boundaries. At the same time, Brown completely excavated the small rectangular room 6 feet x 10 feet which was floored with pink cement, where much more pottery was found. He notes that there are indications of a moat on this field and also indications of remains of buildings leading from the site to the farmhouse. Near the farmhouse, built on early foundations, a Med well exists and he assumed the whole complex to be part of the Manorial site of Giffords and Halleymote (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4)(S5). During the excavation, remains of at least two clamp kilns with pottery were found at TM 0123 7348 C, on the slope down into The Grundle, a hollow way - see WSF 009.
Basil Brown states that Roman and pre-historic sherds were found near these sites and the Med pottery held at SAU contains three sherds of Rom pottery, inluding fragment of a spindle whorl.

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IV, 104,106,107,134,138,198,199; XI, 67-69; XII, 93; XXIII, 6- 8; XLI, 2,3; LI, 38,39; LIII.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
  • <S2> Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 963-87, 1963.
  • <S3> (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card.
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, (2), 215.
  • <S5> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1955, (1), 44.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: CBA. 1954. Group 7, bulletin 1.
  • <S7> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 27 2021 1:29PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.