Monument record ERL 026 - Chestnut Court; Blood Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7552 7944 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1879: Skertchly records a tumulus in Santon Downham known as Blood Hill (STN 001) and states "There is another mound on Eriswell Rabbit Warren, near High Lodge Farm, which goes by the same name" (S4). Presumably relates to ERL 026.
June 1953: "... circa 20.0m OD on a gentle N facing slope of sandy breckland. The mound has a maximum diameter of 26.0m with a maximum height of 1.6m. No ditch is evident, although there is a distinct change of vegetation at the base of the slope. The SW quadrant has been disturbed by digging. Surveyed at 1:2500 on paper, copy held by ERO 5D" (S3) 1954: "Gibson's Gate. Mound about 4 feet high, close to wood. In no danger" (S1) (this entry probably relates to ERL 027).
5 January 1976: Spread in field on Elveden Estate under grass. Previous ploughing. Mound height 0.68m, diameter circa 37.5m. Photograph (S2). 1996: Situated on chalky ridge, circa 1.6m high from base of lowest side (S)(S5).
Close to mound ERL 095.
June 1998: Scheduled - details in (S6).
- <M1> SSF47093 (No record type): Photograph: ABU 3.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Eriswell.
- <S2> SSF19410 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, Barrow Survey, 1976.
- <M2> SSF47094 (No record type): Barrow Survey archive:.
- <M3> SSF47095 (No record type): SAM file: (S6).
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE2.
- <S4> SSF21278 (No record type): Skertchly S B J, `On the Manufacture of Gun-flints', Mem Geol Survey, 1879, 8.
- <S5> SSF20095 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, February 1996.
- <S6> SSF5742 (No record type): English Heritage, scheduling information, 1998.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2019 8:40PM