Monument record ERL 027 - Round Barrow on W edge of Gibson's Slip
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7789 7737 (25m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1839: Shown on tithe map with field boundary to S respecting S edge (S4). 1950s: Tumulus topped by trees (S5).
1954: Gibson's Gate. Mound about 4 feet high, close to wood. In no danger (S3).
1962: "On the edge of a cultivated field, on the W side of Gibson's Slip ... it measures 25.0m in diameter and 0.8m in height. There is no visible ditch. Surmounted by fir trees and slightly mutilated by cattle, otherwise fair condition. Surveyed at 1:2500" (S5).
1974: A round barrow on the W edge of Gibson's Slip, on side of cultivated field. No visible ditch. 27 yards diameter and 3 feet high. Three firtrees on top. Under rough grass. Uneven surface suggesting old excavation (S1). 1975: Now very spread and low. Grassed with margins ploughed and seven firs. Mound height circa 0.58m, diameter circa 25m. Photograph (S2)(S6). 1981: Mound covered in rough grass and nettles, four fir trees, two dead trees, surface uneven, some animal disturbance (S1).
1983: Circa 25m diameter, 0.8m high (S1).
1998: Scheduled area revised - details in (S1).
- <M1> SSF47096 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF19409 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, Barrow Survey, 1975.
- <M2> SSF47097 (No record type): Barrow Survey archive:.
- <M3> SSF47098 (No record type): Photograph: ABU 002.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Eriswell.
- <S4> SSF5761 Map: 1839. Eriswell Tithe Map. Eriswell tithe map, 1839, SRO (Bury).
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE6.
- <S6> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. (4), list.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2019 4:47PM