Monument record WSF 042 - Wattisfield Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0029 7366 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rom pottery kiln, circular, with large central pedestal, excavated by J Watson and K Landymore on field belonging to Wattisfield Hall Farm in November 1948. Half bushel of pottery sherds collected and taken to Watsons Potteries together with remains of floor and kiln roof. The kiln was re- excavated in November 1954 by Basil Brown for three magnetic variation samples, taken by Dr Belshe, Cambridge, when a complete pot with distorted rim (waster) was found in the channel around the pedestal. He also found a large clay patch near the kiln where he thought the clay had been mixed. Evidence of road bed near kiln running NE-SW across field, having ditches on either side. Large black patches (2) in same field - not investigated but thought by Brown to be kiln sites (S1,S2,S3)(R1).
OS locates at TM 0024 7372 but Basil Brown's map marks site at TM 0030 7365. Sherds at SAU include one piece of prehistoric pottery - possibly Neo or IA. Pottery in IPSMG is predominantly C4 types - flanged rim bowls etc (S4).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07SW29.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, I, 22,33,33a,56; IV, 111-118,127-129, VIII, 66-69,71; LIII, 107; LXXI. 93-95; XC, BKH 10-14.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1955, (1), 44.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: kiln plan (B Brown 1954).
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1957-85, 1957.
- <S4> SSF20608 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, notes and drawings.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. P04460-P04467, P11230, P11231, P11780-P11784.
- FSF1930: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2021 1:08PM