Monument record WNG 017 - Lakenheath Warren Site, Lakenheath Airfield, (Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 740 825 (point) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
"This findspot centred on TL 740 825 is so named on a map prepared by F N Haward and preserved at Moyses Hall. It is shown as a massive blow-out in a dune complex that straddled the old Lakenheath to Brandon road and just on the Wangford side of the Lakenheath-Wangford parish boundary" (S1, p63). In 1937 W G Clarke mentions a "hollow in the sand dunes on the borders of Wangford and Lakenheath Warrens" where "occurred thousands of geometric microliths" (S1, S2).
Pre 1901: Part of the Allen Sturge collection, over 600 microliths labelled 'Lakenheath' probably also came from this site (S1).
1931 J G D Clark cut a section into this dune complex a short distance to the West of the site as marked by Haward (S1).
- <S1> SSF10015 Bibliographic reference: Jacobi, R.. 1984. The Mesolithic of North East Anglia & Contemporary Territories. 47-53.
- <S2> SSF54375 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, W.G.. 1937. In Brecklands Wilds.
- <S3> SSF2850 Cartographic materials: Haward, F. N.. 1914. Map of Wangford Mesolithic Sites?.
- <S4> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1194,.
- <S5> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11511.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF51326: ISOSCELES TRIANGLE (Early Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 8000 BC)
- FSF51327: TRAPEZE MICROLITH (Early Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 8000 BC)
- FSF51328: RHOMBOID MICROLITH (Deepcar Type Mesolithic to Middle Mesolithic - 8700 BC to 7000 BC)
- FSF51329: MICROLITH WITH INVERSE BASAL RETOUCH (Honey Hill Type Mesolithic - 8300 BC to 7000 BC)
- FSF51330: SCALENE TRIANGLE (Early Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 8000 BC)
- FSF51331: ROD MICROLITH (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF51332: RECTANGLE MICROLITH (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF51333: LUNATE MICROLITH (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF8156: OBLIQUELY BLUNTED/PARTIALLY BACKED MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF8157: LANCEOLATE MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Lakenheath Warren Site; Lakenheath Airfield, (Mesolithic) (Ref: Clark J C D) (ESF15896)
- Event - Intervention: Unsystematic Field Walking Survey(s) Lakenheath Warren Site; Lakenheath Airfield (Ref: Sturge) (ESF28034)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 3:24PM