Monument record FRK 003 - Roman bronze coin hoard of 595 coins found in a narrow necked Roman jar
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6668 7284 (51m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze coin hoard, 595 coins, dated between AD 306-361; in a narrow necked jar of white fabric with red colour coat with 3 groups of 3 vertical wavy lines painted in white (S1,S3-S8).
Found in deep ploughing "in a field near the Lee Brook" (S2). Exact find spot uncertain:- a) OS 2 1/2 inch map puts at TL 6678 7258 b) published as TL 729 668 (reversed) and c) OS card TL 6669 7284.
Also see FRK 032 for finds claimed to be from this hoard.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67SE12.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, VIII, 164; XCVIII, 82 and newspaper cuttings showing restored pot.
- <S3> SSF15615 Article in serial: C. I. Fell, M. A., F. S. A., and Grace Briscoe, M. B., B. S., F. S. A. 1952. Archaeological Notes. PCAS, 45, 1951, 68.
- <S4> SSF56351 Article in serial: Moore, I. E.. 1948. Roman Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 24, 1948, 174.
- <S6> SSF11308 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, J. 1951. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- <S7> SSF2986 News Paper: 1949. Bury Free Press, 24 June 1949. Bury Free Press, 24 June 1949.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 16 2020 11:31AM