Monument record HNY 002 - Iron-Age site, visible as circular black patches situated along an underlying gravel ridge.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0200 7551 (134m by 90m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HINDERCLAY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Large area on field SW of Hinderclay Wood after deep ploughing to 18 inches in 1955 showed circular black patches situated along underlying gravel ridge. Basil Brown defined 13 "hut circles" circa 8 feet in diameter and excavated two of them. "Hut 8" is a large oval bowl shaped hollow circa 10 feet x 6 feet x 1 foot deep at centre, lined with red clay above the gravel layer, filled with black deposit. Pottery sherds and large lumps of potters clay; called pottery making hearth by Basil Brown. "Hut 11" was partly excavated, trodden sand floor, hearth roughly central contained flint gritted EIA sherds of large pot. Part of loom weight found near "Hut 12" (S1) (S2) (S3). "Pottery of IA 'A' type, some Kettleburgh variety with rippled body" (S3). Evidence of ancient trackway to site of Rom kilns on same field, E of Hinderclay Wood, HNY 005 (S1).
Grid reference for site on B Brown's index card given as TM 019 753 to TM 021 752.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII 159; XLIII 20; LV 5; LXXI 117-119 123 126; LXXXIX 28; XCVI 9; XCVII 60; XCI 158-160; XC.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volumes, card index, map.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : plans, sections (Brown 1955).
- <S2> SSF9857 (No record type): IPSMG, plan M40,.
- <M3> SSF35605 (No record type): Photographs : BKG 12, BJM 18.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card, 1955.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 1:32PM