Monument record TYN 021 - Church of John the Baptist, Alston (Rectory)(site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 265 369 (101m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Church of John the Baptist, Alston (Rectory)(site of).
'No remains of this church are anywhere to be found; but from a great number of human bones and skulls that were dug up at putting down the Posts of a Cartlodge, at the West-end of Alteston Street, about the year 1720, it is probable it might stand there over against the Park of Grimston Hall' (S1). Alteston Rectory consolidated to Trimley St Martin in 1362. 'Bones are often ploughed up on the Alston Hall Farm' (S2). Domesday Book, 'Lands of Roger Bigot - Alteinestuna - a church with 5 acres' (S3).
Listed in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, but only the parish of Alstanstone is mentioned in the Taxatio Ecclesiastica (circa 1291), not mentioned in the Valor Ecclesiasticus of Henry VIII. Apparently the church survived physically until at least 1460 (S4). `Old Chapel now down' marked on Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk, 1783.
- <S1> SSF10303 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, Suffolk Traveller, 1764, 87.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 19, 1926, (2), 206.
- <S2> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 479.
- <S3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 478.
- <S4> SSF21023 (No record type): Scarfe N in Dymond D & Martin E (eds), Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 42.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 8 2008 12:34PM