Monument record RGV 014 - Redgrave Hall (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0532 7693 (73m by 94m)|
|Civil Parish||REDGRAVE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of Redgrave Hall, within Redgrave Park. Originally Hunting Lodge of Abbots of Bury; hall built in 1545 on same site, remodelled in 1763. Destroyed (S1).
Three C16 bricks from Redgrave Hall in Ipswich Museum (S2(S4). Basil Brown visited site in February 1953, when he searched for parts of coat of arms above S door of Hall amongst rubble in doorway. He took photographs of doorway and parts of the park. He records that during dry summers it is possible to walk across the artificial lake S of the Hall, on an old road which led from Redgrave Hall to Botesdale Lodge via Jacobites Wood, submerged when the lake was constructed (S3).
For Redgrave Deer Park, see RGV 022.
- <S1> SSF20692 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG card, 1973-138, 1973.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, II, 34-38; XX, 85; XXV, 49; LXXI, 8,9; XC, BKD 1-4, BIK 10,11; XCVI, 53; card index 250; ma.
- <S4> SSF17894 (No record type): Sandeen E R, The Building of Redgrave Hall, 1545-1554, PSIA, 29, 1961, (1), 1-33.
- <S5> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. P04553, P04554, P11842, P11843, P11844, P11845.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. MHLG (Prov HHR) Hartismere RD, Suff, Apr 1950, 97.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 20 2021 3:24PM