Monument record WTM 005 - Low Farm - Roman Field
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0761 7835 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Rom tomb and urns found 1843, is marked on OS map, 1903.
Basil Brown visited site in April 1954 but found no Rom remains, not even small sherds. A ridge runs across this field from N-S, which he thought was possibly an ancient track. The field is known locally as Roman Field and pieces of "old pottery" are said to have been found here. Brown thought this was more likely to be a Saxon site (S1)(R1).
Rom sherds on two fields immediately W of Low Farm, TM 076 785 approximately, post 1954 (S2). Reported by Basil Brown but no record in archive.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE2.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 48,49; VIII, 20; XCIII, 42; XCVI 52; card index 466, map 22.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S3> SSF11099 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A.. 1964. Gazeteer of Early Anglo Saxon Burial Sites.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF1993: URN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 2:45PM