Monument record RGV 014 - Redgrave Hall (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0532 7693 (73m by 94m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||REDGRAVE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of Redgrave Hall, within Redgrave Park. Originally hunting lodge of Abbots of Bury; hall built in 1545 on same site by Sir Nicholas Bacon (see (S2) for details), remodelled in 1763 for Rowland Holt Esq. White (1855) says built 1770 by Holt who also embellished Park at expense of 30,000 pounds. 41 hearths in 1674. Destroyed. Three C16 bricks from Hall in Ipswich Museum (S1) (S2). Park landscaped by Capability Brown in 1763. Basil Brown visited site in February 1953 when he searched for parts of coat of arms above S door of Hall amongst rubble in doorway. He took photographs of doorway and parts of the park. He records that during dry summers it is possible to walk across the artificial lake S of the Hall, on an old road which led from Redgrave Hall to Botesdale Lodge via Jacobites Wood, submerged when the lake was constructed (S3), road still visible in lake on APs (S5). For conduit details see (S2). For Redgrave Deer Park, see RGV 022. For Icehouse, see RGV 023. For Brickmaking site, see RGV 019.
See also Med.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1973-138.
- <S2> SSF17893 (No record type): Sandeen E R, The building of Redgrave Hall 1545-1554, PSIA, 29, 1963, (1), 1-33.
- <M2> SSF39524 (No record type): Photographs: BKD 1-4, BIK 10 11.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, II 34-38; XX 85; XXV 49; LXXI 8 9; XCVI 53; card index 250, map 24.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE37.
- <S5> SSF5566 (No record type): East Suffolk CC, AP, 1:10560, HSL UK7129 D77 8044, 23 March 1971 (S6) SCC, AP, 1:10000, 37 86 100, .
- <S6> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF59814 Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. MHLG (Prov HHR) Hartismere RD, Suff, Apr 1950, 97.
- <S8> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. P04553, P04554, P11842, P11843, P11844, P11845.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 20 2021 3:25PM