Monument record WTM 008 - Croft Mead "Southmore" (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0873 7718 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Large multi period site on field known as Croft Mead, between Honeypot Farm and Beans Lane to E, found when pipelaying in September 1955 and excavated by Basil Brown. Rom ditch runs W-E across the whole field to intersect with the Rom road running N-S along Beans Lane (WTM 009). Smaller ditches intersect on a N-S line across the field and at the junction of one of these, the complete skeleton of a deer was excavated. The ditches contained pottery sherds, including plain Samian ware, kiln roof debris and wasters, animal bones and oyster shells, all found in a layer of greasy black earth, overlain by Med building debris and artefacts, particularly on the W side of the site. During ploughing of this field at an earlier date a Rom bronze coin had been found - no further details (S1,S2,S3,S4)
Notification of site in PSIA gives grid reference TM 089 785 (S4) - not correct as all relevant data confirms TM 0873 7718.
Also Preh and Med finds.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 97,99-108,136; XXXVI 10; XLIV, 3; LXXI, 145-148,152; XC, BKE 11-13, BJG 2-9, BKC 10-12; .
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE23.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site plan (B Brown).
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 964-28.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1956, (2), 118.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 4 2013 12:48PM