Monument record FRT 001 - Find spot of a Roman coin hoard, mid C4
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1649 3757 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FRESTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Coin hoard, mid C4. Found in ploughing, within cropmark area, FRT 006. Associated two grey ware pots, one probably used as a lid. 3,118 bronze coins: one Tetricus, one Divo Claudio, few AD 310-330, mostly AD 330-346. Latest types (Vict DD Augg Q NN) AD 341-346. Deposition date probably pre AD 348 (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
Findspot originally Freston parish but with realignment of boundaries now in Holbrook parish.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 963-95.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13NE6.
- <S3> SSF15299 (No record type): Owles, Smedley & Webb, Num Chron, 7th series, XII, 1972, 145-157.
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XIII, 79, photo & story of find from EADT, 17.3.59 & 20.3.59.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 4 2021 11:44AM