Monument record ELV 009 - Elveden Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Elveden Hall.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8250 7973 (213m by 87m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL87NW
Civil Parish ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Elveden Hall. Originally Georgian building of moderate size. First built in 1762 by Admiral Keppel. Purchased in 1813 by William Newton. Enlarged by Maharaja Duleep Singh in 1863-1870 into oriental extravaganza unparalleled in England. In 1899-1903 first Lord Iveagh enlarged the palace (see brick kiln ELV 008) resulting in present three-storeyed frontage of twenty-five bays with a centre with a big porte-cochere and a dome (S1). For details of park see (R1). For plans and elevations see (S2).

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1974 ed, 199.
  • <R1> (No record type): Williamson T, Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk, 1993.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S2).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Purcell Miller Tritton, Elveden Hall: Planning & LB Consent Statement & plans, Jan 2002.
  • <S3> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S4> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 15 2021 11:49AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.