Monument record MNL 064 - Thistley Green, West Row (Mildenhall Roman Site)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6743 7667 (365m by 260m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Roman `villa' excavated in 1932, set within larger scheduled area producing Rom remains including alleged findspot of Mildenhall Treasure (see MNL 231). "A small two-roomed Roman building was excavated in 1932 revealing a hypocaust, an external shed and 4th century pottery fragments" (S1).
Two-roomed building with hypocaust at (S2).
"Whole area in arable cultivation. Nothing visible on surface. Underlying chalk shows through peat" (?) "in places" (S2).
Two sherds (one with stamp), collected by Basil Brown (S3).
Other material mainly pottery, on loan to MIHLM (S6).
1947: Photographs and slides in Basil Brown archive show Fowler & Lethbridge using metal detector on site and Mr Ford (owner of land adjoining treasure site?), Bird and Landymore on alleged treasure field (S4,S5).
For concentrated spread of Roman finds, excavated building corner and possible treasure site, North of scheduled area, see MNL 146 and MNL 161. Three photographs of excavated hypocaust in NWHCM (S7).
Card index in Cambridge Museum notes pottery from Lethbridge 1932 Roman Villa excavations (S8).
From NHRE record:
(TL 67427667) ROMAN BUILDING (R) (site of) (NAT) (S17)
A small two-roomed Roman building was excavated in 1932 revealing a hypocaust, an external shed and 4th century pottery fragments. the Mildenhall Treasure (TL 67 NE 4), a hoard of 34 pieces of Roman table silver, was discovered in a shallow trench 30 yds from the building and Roman pottery sherds, pieces of brick, oyster shells and old bones were found after ploughing at TL 67377688. (S14, S13, S18)
There are no visible remains of the building; the farmer, present at the time of excavation verified the OS siting. (S16) (Also S15, S19).
NHRE: Related Archives/Objects:
P12602 WEST ROW- MAJOR GORDON FOWLER USING METAL DETECTOR
P12603 WEST ROW- T.C.LETHBRIDGE, MAJOR GORDON FOWLER USING METAL DETECTOR
- --- SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. P12602,P12603.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE1, (map).
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, VIII, 163; XCVIII, 67,82,101; XCV, 20,21; card index, 214-216.
- <S4> SSF20301 Photograph: SAU. Photographs BJT 01-04. SAU, photographs BJT 01-04.
- <S5> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, lantern slides.
- <S6> SSF15667 Verbal communication: Pendleton C F. 1983. Pendleton C F, 1983. Pendleton C F, 1983.
- <S7> SSF12307 Excavation archive: NWHCM. Suffolk Parish Records, Mildenhall, photographs. NWHCM, Suffolk Parish Records, Mildenhall, photographs.
- <S8> SSF3074 Museum Record Card: Cambridge University Museum of Archaeology & Anthropology. Suffolk, Z11483, Z21436-7, Z22767. Cambridge University Museum, card index, Suffolk, Z11483, Z21436-7, Z22767.
- <S9> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, slides.
- <S10> SSF44145 Scheduling record: Thistley Green, West Row (Mildenhall Roman Site). SAM file:.
- <S11> SSF10002 Article in serial: F. E. Adcock. 1948. review-article. J Roman Studies, 38, 102.
- <S12> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevesner N & Radcliffe R, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, 366.
- <S13> SSF16364 Bibliographic reference: Phillips C W. 1970. The Fenland in Roman Times. Phillips C W, The Fenland in Roman Times, 1970, 237.
- <S14> SSF10538 Article in serial: Lethbridge, T.C.. 1947. Roman Britain in 1946. Lethbridge T C, J Roman Stud, 37, 1947, 172.
- <S15> SSF59825 Bibliographic reference: Scott, E. 1993. A gazetteer of Roman villas in Britain. Site number SU 27.
- <S16> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 15-MAR-72.
- <S17> SSF59840 Map: Ordnance Survey. OS 6" 1959.
- <S18> SSF11308 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, G. 1951. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- <S18a> SSF59850 Personal Correspondence: Fowler G. 1949. NHRE Source.
- <S19> SSF55854 Bibliographic reference: Moore, I, E.. 1988. The Archaeology of Roman Suffolk.
- <S20> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Lethbridge T C (Ref: Lethbridge T C) (ESF15621)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13838)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Peterson Ms H) (Ref: DOE (Peterson Ms H)) (ESF13054)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (JP) (Ref: SAU (JP)) (ESF13610)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2021 9:32AM