Monument record MNL 145 - Rookery Drove, Beck Row.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6850 7824 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||Beck Row, Holywell Row and Kenny Hill, Forest Heath, Suffolk|
Type and Period (1)
Bone dagger found in 1930, in possession of S Ford in 1951 (S1, S3). The Sidney Ford Collection was bequeathed to MIHLM (S4).
Animal bone with split, sharpened and polished `blade', dark brown. Tool marks plentiful. Neither edges or point are sharp, tool use unknown but possibly not dagger. Relatively unworked bone joint forms butt, 4.5 cms below which a shallow horizontal groove is recognisable (note perforation with bone pin in butt of very similar bone `dagger' WGN 008). Length 17.9 cms, width at butt 2.5 cms, at blade 1.9 cms, maximum thickness at butt 2.0 cms. Drawing in parish file (S2).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE14.
- <S2> SSF59851 Finds Illustration: Pendleton C. 1988. MNL 145.
- <S3> SSF11308 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, J. 1951. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- <S4> SSF11355 Museum Record Card: MIHLM. SF/B/24. MIHLM, SF/B/24.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2020 3:24PM