Monument record MNL 156 - Cooks Drove, West Row.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6502 7798 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Socketed axe found (S1,S4) in 1950 on ploughsoil surface. Large socketed axe with loop decorated with three raised parallel ribs with end roundels (in one case end pellet only). Length 12.2 cms. Quite badly effected by bronze disease and after treatment by IPSMG seriously disfigured. Sompting or Sompting influenced type of C7 BC (S2,S3). For other Sompting type axes from Mildenhall Fen, see MNL 157 and MNL 119.
Further infromation in not to publish tab (SCCAS staff only)
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE13.
- <S2> SSF15672 Article in serial: Pendleton C F. 1979. A catalogue of the Prehistoric metalwork from West Row. Pendleton C F, A catalogue of the Prehistoric metalwork from West Row, 1979, Ms, unpublished.
- <S3> SSF15861 Unpublished document: Pendleton C F. The Distribution of BA Metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA Dissertation, Nottingham 1985.
- <S4> SSF11308 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, J. 1951. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2020 2:51PM