Monument record BNT 004 - Brantham Hall Gravel Pit; Marsh Farm Gravel Pit (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1167 3351 (139m by 199m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANTHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1925: A pit (called `pit dwelling, or hut'(S1)(R1)(R2)) `was found about 5 feet N of the Beaker grave (`grave L')... approximately 8 feet in diameter and sunk about 4 feet 6 inches below present surface' (S1)(R1)(R2). Also `Iron Age "late A1 or early A2" pottery on hut floor with bricquetage (? loom-weights), flint cores and flakes' (S1)(R3)(R4). Sketch maps in (S1) after `crude sketch by G Maynard 8-2-51'.
IPSMG card (S2) records `-2. Burnt clay or brick from floor (of the above pit) ... with worked flint'. A second similar pit is suggestd by `-3. Pottery and large charcoal, flints & burnt stone from another floor... feet north of pit floor -2' and `-3A. Coarse pottery or brick-like nozzle from upper part of above site, perforated by a tapered hole'. Listed as both BA and EIA on (S2). `Discovered 1925. Examined ICM. Found by E T Lingwood'. Pottery described as `some ornamented wth finger tip impressions'. Also listed are `-5. Fragments of small vessel with incised decoration, or shouldered urn type. Found near 1925-4'. (Fragments of beaker found in central part of ring ditch.) Probably (S3). BA or IA?
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13SW5.
- <R1> SSF7830 (No record type): IPSMG, Accession Book, 1925.
- <R2> SSF3534 (No record type): Clarke A, ? Record Map, 8 Feb 1951 entry.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards (2), 1925-2,3,3A,5.
- <R3> SSF3533 (No record type): Clarke A, ? Record Map, 4 Jan 1951 entry.
- <S3> SSF6867 (No record type): Gilmour R A, `Beaker & BA burials at Brantham Hall', PSIA, 33, 1974, (2), 116-130, fig 35.9.
- <R4> SSF3644 (No record type): Clarke R R, Arch J, 96, 1939, 95.
- FSF17599: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17600: WORKED OBJECT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17601: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17602: LOOMWEIGHT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17603: BRIQUETAGE (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 4:12PM