Monument record LKH 067 - Joist Fen (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6940 8557 (460m by 94m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Joist Fen: 4 `islands' of light sand in middle of black peat fen producing Neo & BA scatters and IA coins (S1)(R1).
`After ploughing numerous sherds of early type, Beaker and Rusticated. Arrowheads, tanged and leaf, many worked flints' (S1, 1960 entry)(S3)(S4). 1960-1964: listed finds include beaker sherds with comb-stamped decoration, rusticated sherds of thick coarse buff ware decorated with thumbnail, fingertip and stab impressions, cord impressed sherds, probably collared urn, 4 barbed and tanged and 2 hollow based arrowheads, scrapers and knives. See also Neo (S1)(R2). Further information in G Briscoe archive. 1986: Finds collected from sand hill by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) include circa 10 beaker sherds, flint or sand tempered, comb impressed decoration; circa 100 coarse grog-tempered sherds, mostly food vessel type with some collared urn, fingernail rustication is commonest, some cord impression and a few circular impressions; 10 large flint scrapers plus 6 small thumb-nail type; 6 flint knives; a barbed and tanged and an ?oblique arrowhead and various worked flints. Some of the tools are re-used patinated (Mes?) flakes. Also Neo (S2).
- <S1> SSF11195 (No record type): MIHLM 6 inch record map, Lady G Briscoe, 1960 & 1961 entries.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL68NE11.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report, copy (S1).
- <S2> SSF11527 (No record type): Morley R, 1986.
- <R2> SSF1489 (No record type): Briscoe Lady G, `BA Pottery & Flints from Joist Fen, Lakenheath', PCAS, 56, 1964, 1-5, pl 1.
- <M2> SSF36597 (No record type): G Briscoe archive:.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards (2), Lakenheath Joist Fen, 1960.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1960, PSIA, 28, 1960, (3), 293.
- FSF4330: WORKED OBJECT (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4331: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4332: POTTERY COLLARED URN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4333: POTTERY FOOD VESSEL (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4334: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4335: BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4336: TRANSVERSE ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF4337: HOLLOW BASED ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 16 2009 2:16PM