Monument record IPS 206 - Cox Lane, Ipswich, (IAS 3502).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1664 4454 (28m by 24m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- LAYER (Post Medieval to Mid 20th century - 1540 AD to 1961 AD)
- WELL? (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 13th century - 850 AD? to 1200 AD?)
- PIT (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD? to 1100 AD?)
- PIT (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD? to 1200 AD?)
- INHUMATION (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD? to 1200 AD?)
1960: Real found during digging on site of COOP warehouse.
1961: During excavations for building works a series of rubbish pits and a total of 4 Thetford ware and an Ipswich ware kiln were revealed. Two of the Thetford Ware kilns were partially excavated by IPSMG, of oval & circular forms. Two pits contained wasters & kiln debris (S2). A silver penny of Aethelred II of circa AD 995 was found at base of pit containing Thetford ware, with an auger. Also a bone skate (Saxon or Medieval). Pottery finds from kilns included Ipswich ware, (kiln 5), Thetford ware (kilns 1,2 & 4), Thetford & Early Medieval wares (kiln 3). Kiln 3 is believed to be c. 1000-1050.
A deep pit (pit 3), possibly a well, containing 11th or 12th century is associated with a skeleton with sword and dagger cuts. Pit 2 contained fragments of kiln debris, pottery, pottery wasters & charcoal, possibly from kiln 3. Further details in (S1-S5).
NB finds and monuments associated with IAS 3405 and IAS 3503 have been moved to their own records (IPS 814 and IPS 813 respectively).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 141,143; LXIV, 31,33; XCVI, 116.
- <S2> SSF21292 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1963. Some Suffolk kilns: IV. Saxon kilns in Cox Lane, Ipswich, 1961. M. J. Aitken, C. Wells and N. Scarfe)”. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archæology XXIX.3, pp. 304–335.. XXIX.3, pp. 304–335.. XXIX.3, pp. 304–335..
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 3502.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 3502.
- <S5> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 961-3-6-10-11-20-31-32, 960-144, 958-252, 958, 253, 957-91, 957-198, 963-49?.
- FSF39863: COIN (15th century to Unknown - 1490 AD?)
- FSF39917: HUMAN REMAINS (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD? to 1200 AD?)
- FSF39925: WASTER (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF39926: WASTER (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF4344: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF4345: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF4346: ICE SKATE (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF4347: COIN (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to Unknown - 995 AD?)
- FSF4348: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 14th century - 1000 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF4349: ANIMAL REMAINS (IPS: Late Medieval Transitional to IPS: Post Medieval - 1451 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 9 2017 2:34PM