Monument record IPS 890 - Westgate Street, Ipswich, (IAS AL01, IAS AL02, IAS AL03).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 161 446 (96m by 49m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1884: Corduroy road running under Westgate Street found during excavation for sewer laying, circa 1884, and reported by Dr Taylor during an SIA meeting in October of that year. The log road had been laid across a marshy area. The logs were secured to each other by wooden pegs. A bone needle and portion of a bone comb were also found and many animal bones and cut deer antlers were retrieved. Many pieces of broken pottery were found in the soil beneath the road, which Dr Taylor thought might be Saxon (S1-S3).
1979: Thetford Ware Sherds and logs presumably from "corduroy road" seen, (S2, S3). Also seen to the front of Debenhams, (S4).
1980: Thetford ware pot from "hole in road" (S2, S3).
- --- SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1947-194.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 117,118,119; XCVI, 145.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS AL01, IAS AL02, IAS AL03.
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS AL01, IAS AL02, IAS AL03.
- <S4> SSF50815 Unpublished document: Boulter, S & Loader, T. 1993. Excavation Report, Crown and Anchor Site, Westgate Street, Ipswich (IAS 0703).
- FSF4305: POTTERY (Undated)
- FSF4306: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF4307: COMB (Undated)
- FSF4308: NEEDLE (Undated)
- FSF43253: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF43258: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Westgate Street, Ipswich, (IAS AL01). (ESF24547)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Debenhams, Waterloo House, 1-10a Westgate St. (IAS 0702) (ESF23320)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring? Casual Observation, Westgate Street, Ipswich, (IAS AL02). (ESF24548)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring? Casual Observation, Westgate Street, Ipswich, (IAS AL03). (ESF24549)
Record last edited
Jan 17 2017 2:48PM