Monument record CAC 005 - The Island
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5107 8949 (67m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Rectangular moat, entrance on E side, unoccupied. Depth averages 3 feet Good condition 1952 (S1).
Lead seal C12-C13, illegible, unfinished (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). Found with a metal detector, information from GMDC (S2).
Lead seal matrix, C13, circular with pierced suspension loop - `Seal of Matilda Runting' around an 8-pointed star (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S3).
January 1999: Scheduled. Details in (S4).
June 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The probable medieval moat described above is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs (S5-S6). It is clearest on relatively recent aerial photographs, on which its form differs little from that depicted on modern Ordnance Survey maps.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 18th June 2014.
- <M1> SSF45128 (No record type): Moat file: OS 1:2500 maplet.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM58NW1, 1952.
- <S2> SSF1357 (No record type): Bond A (GMDC) per NAU (Gregory A), undated.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <S3> SSF1358 (No record type): Bond A (GMDC) per SAU (Martin E), finds report, November 1989.
- <M3> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. SAM file.
- <S4> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. EH, Scheduling Information, 1998-1999.
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap71 51 51718357-51718358 28-MAR-1971.
- <S6> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/89046 V 239-240 18-MAR-1989 (EHA).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2014 11:08AM