Monument record BAD 008 - Badley Walk
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0642 5605 (1738m by 836m)|
|Civil Parish||BADLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Badley Walk - formal approach avenue to& beyond formerly Badley Hall, runs in a straight line for 1350m from the Stowmarket road to the front of the Hall, and is 40m wide. At approximately the mid-point, the avenue is flanked by two mirror image groves called Keyfield Groves. At the NE end, near the main road, the Walk has been infilled by the construction of bungalows. Most of the middle section of the Walk has reverted to woodland; only the section adjoining Church Green is still grassland. A footpath runs the length of the Walk (S1). Clearly shown on manuscript map of 1741 (R1). Legend that Elizabeth I rode along avenue - see (S2).
The Hall was built for the Poley family circa 1520s/1530s; the Walk may be contemporary or may be later in the C16 or early C17.
It is shown on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk, 1783
Earthworks of a low level central mound clearly running for 581m of western end of the avenue walk on both aerial photography from 1955 and 1962 and also on the lidar and on Google Earth (S3, S4, S5, S6, S7). The mound can also be seen on the lidar, though not as clearly, within the wooded area at the eastern end. Helen Saunders (Essex County Council) December 2013
- <S3> SSZ54994 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photography. MAL/55162/22933-22934 (EHA).
- <S4> SSZ54995 LIDAR Airborne Survey: Lidar Airbourne Survey. Lidar TM0656 Environment Agency D0016856.
- <S5> SSZ54994 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photography. MAL/95/65/135-137 6-Nov-65 (EHA).
- <S6> SSZ54996 Oblique Aerial Photograph: English Heritage Archive. Oblique Aerial Photograph. TM0656/3 14-Apr-55 (EHA).
- <S7> SSZ54994 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photography. Earth.Google.Com 19-Jan-2003, accessed November 2013.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2017 11:53AM