Monument record BNC 064 - Post Medieval quarry pits, partially eroded by the sea.

Please read our .

Summary

Modern quarry pits visible east of Beach Farm, partially eroded by the sea.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 53547 83901 (255m by 759m)
Map sheet TM58SW
Civil Parish BENACRE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

A quarry pit, of Modern date, visible in 1940 at TM 53548378, east of Beach Farm, and expanded during and after World War II when it is joined by three other large pits to the east and north. A smaller pit is also visible in 1940, just to the west of New Cut (S1-3). The pits have since been partially eroded away by the sea.
Initially numbered as BNC 029 during pilot survey of intertial area. Re-numbered Nov 2004

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2/BR11/14 Frames 50-51.
  • <S2> Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. AC/165 Frame 5059.
  • <S3> Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/930 Frames 4188-4189.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 14 2013 10:10AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.