Monument record DUN 044 - World War II military strong point, on which was later built a WWII military camp and possible site of diver battery H3
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47528 71102 (237m by 385m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- BARBED WIRE OBSTRUCTION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1941 AD)
- PILLBOX (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- SLIT TRENCH (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY CAMP (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- NISSEN HUT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- WEAPONS PIT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (Unknown date)
- DIVER BATTERY (Second World War - 1944 AD to 1945 AD)
A military strongpoint can be seen on aerial photographs from 1941 (S1), c 500m north-west of Dunwich. This feature consistes of a stretch of barbed wire partially encircling a possible pillbox and a possible covered trench - possibly an early air raid shelter. By June 1945 (S2), this site has been destoryed by the construction of a military camp on top of it. The camp consists of a number of Nissen-type huts, trackways, small weapons pits, gun emplacements and a stretch of slit trench. The camp can still be seen, in the same form as it was in 1945, on aerial photographs from 1946 (S3).
Possibly also the site of a Second World War heavy anti aircraft (Diver) battery in the Diver Strip at north-east of The Granary. It was armed with four 3.7-inch Mark IIc guns equipped with Predictor BTL, and Radar AA No.3 Mark V when it was deployed here on 24th November 1944, and was manned by 400 Battery of 122 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 40 Heavy Anti Aircraft Brigade deployment (S4).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2A/BR165 FrmsA39-A40 18-Nov-1941.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK476 Frms3074-3075 6-Jun-1945.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK1707 Frms4290-4291 29-Aug-1946.
- <S4> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478616.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 21 2013 10:52AM