Monument record WLN 036 - Sections of anti-glider ditches of Second World War date, north-west of Dunwich Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 46315 68884 (581m by 710m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Three sections of anti-glider ditch are visible as earthworks in fields to the north-west of Dunwich Heath on aerial photographs from 1945(S1). Two of the sections are c150m long and another is c50m long. The features would have been part of the World War II defences in this area, intended to stop aricraft landing in open fields. There are other smiliar features in the vicinity.
March 2014. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
This site has been extended to the west to include the area of further anti-glider trenches (S2-S3). The lidar data suggests that significant earthworks survive relating to these features (S4).
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 02nd January 2015.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK929 Frm4167 16-Oct-1945.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RS 4167-4168 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 RS 4225-4226 07-JUN-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM4669, TM4668 Environment Agency 2m DTM 25-JUL-2011.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (ESF23167)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2015 11:03AM