Monument record LCS 117 - Quarry pit of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 46927 62393 (104m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A pit of unknown date is visible on aerial photographs centred on TM46926239. The pit is roughly 150m west of Home Farm, is irregularly shaped and is approximately 120 x 55m in size. It appears to contain at least 1 structure as well as a number of trees and a pond and may be in use as an agricultural storage or recreational area. The pit was probably originally dug as a quarry for land improvement purposes. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd edition maps of 1884 and 1904, and the current base map. (S1-5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1673 3232 28-Jul-1946.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/5046 18-19 09-Apr-1962.
- <S3> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/75039 11-12 07-Jun-1975.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1884.
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1904.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2013 2:59PM