Monument record ARG 022 - A quarry pit of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47305 61266 (56m by 56m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A quarry pit of unknown date in Aldringham cum Thorpe parish is visible on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM41306126. On the photographs the pit straddles the boundary between two fields, boundaries which have not changed since the date of the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1884 and 1904, on which the pit is also marked. This may suggest that the pit is considerably older than the current field system, but this cannot be confirmed from the evidence currently available. The pit is irregularly shaped, and measures roughly 50m x 50m. It was probably originally dug as part of a land improvement effort. (S1-6).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF AC/59 114-115 19-Jun-1942.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4259-60 16-Oct-1945.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/5046 16-17 09-Apr-1962.
- <S4> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/75039 13-14 07-Jun-1975.
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1884.
- <S6> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1904.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:15PM