Monument record ARG 031 - A World War II strongpoint and Diver Battery S2
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47210 60954 (344m by 288m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- BARBED WIRE OBSTRUCTION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- SLIT TRENCH (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- PILLBOX (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- NISSEN HUT (Second World War - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
- WEAPONS PIT (Second World War - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
- DIVER BATTERY (Second World War - 1944 AD to 1945 AD)
A World War II strongpoint and Heavy Anti-aircraft Artillery battery are visible as structures and earthworks on aerial photographs, centred on TM47276093. On aerial photographs from 1940 to 1942 (S1-3), a strongpoint is visible centred on TM47286087. This takes the form of a pillbox and slit trench located on a field boundary, surrounded by a barbed wire entanglement enclosing an area of circa 1.7 hectares. At some time after June 1942, the strongpoint is replaced by a Heavy Anti-aircraft Artillery battery and associated camp, visible on photographs dated October 1945 (S4). A slit trench, possibly a bomb shelter, is located circa 200m to the west of the camp, against the edge of Rye Grass Woods. The location of the gun emplacements is barely visible, suggesting that they were less substantial than normal HAA sites. It is probable then that this was an emergency gun battery, possibly an emergency DIVER site, established sometime after June 1944. The Nissen huts of the camp have been removed by 1952 (S5).
Site of a Second World War heavy anti aircraft (Diver) battery in the Diver Strip near The Ness. It was armed with four 3.7-inch Mark IIc guns equipped with Predictor BTL, and Radar AA No.3 Mark V when it was deployed here on 10th October 1944, and was manned by 437 Battery of 138 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 5 Heavy Anti Aircraft Brigade deployment (S6).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/14 10-11 07-Jul-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2A/BR167 15-16 17-Dec-1941.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF AC/59 113-114 19-Jun-1942.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4259-4260 16-Oct-1945.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 540/705 5465-5466 09-Apr-1952.
- <S6> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478523.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2022 2:44PM