Monument record ADB 107 - Post Medieval relict sea- bank.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 46455 58338 (450m by 159m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A sea bank of probable Post Medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM46325836 in Aldeburgh parish. It is visible as a bank running for approximately 515m inland from circa TM46775825 to circa TM46325841. The bank is marked on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1884 and 1904 (S1, S2). A Post Medieval date for its construction therefore seems likely. The bank is, at least partially visible on aerial photographs from 1940 onwards (S3-S5), that show that the bank was used as part of the World War II coastal defences in this area, when a section was cut through the bank at circa TM46635830. This has been repaired by 1952 (S6).
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1884.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/14 6-7 08-Jul-1940.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2A/BR167 8-9 17-Dec-1941.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5048-5049 30-Dec-1943.
- <S6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 540/705 5474 09-Apr-1952.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 3:44PM