Monument record TYN 090 - Grimston Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 26890 36478 (229m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A probable Post Medieval garden, centred on TM 26963647, is visible as earthworks and later as soil marks adjacent to Grimston Hall (TYN 008) on aerial photographs taken from the 1940s onwards. The garden features are located to the south and east of the house and consist of a series of banks and ditches which appear to form at least two terraced areas, the corners of which are visible at TM 26983646 and TM 26993645. To the west of these earthworks at the other side of the stream, centred on TM 26813650, another bank or possible terrace is visible. (S1-S4) By 1982 site has been ploughed flat although the garden features are still visible as cropmarks. See TYN 008 for Grimston Hall and possible Medieval earthworks. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106W/LA/1 3047-3048 18-APR-1944.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/34 3066-3067 15-AUG-1944.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/115 5006-5007 30-AUG-1948.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/1672 F21 0365-0366 03-MAR-1955.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/82112 005-006 13-MAY-1982.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2010 5:26PM