Monument record COV 086 - Possible Medieval extent of the churchyward of St Andrew's.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 52249 81880 (45m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||COVEHITHE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The original extent of the churchyard of St Andrew's, Covehithe, may be visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs centred on circa TM52248188. An area of roughly 3000 square metres is defined by cropmarks immediately to the west of the current churchyard, occupying much of the space inbetween the church and Church Farm Cottages (annotated on the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps as including the Vicarage). Although few features are clearly visible within this area, a large number of small and relatively indistinct features defined by positive cropmarks may be suggestive of burials. The addition of this area to the current churchyard would also place the church in a more central position within the grounds. As the church was reduced in scale around 1673, it is possible that the churchyard was also reduced in size at this time. (S1)
- <S1> SXS50124 Photograph: Norfolk Landscape Archaeology. Norfolk Landscape Archaeology Air Photography. TM5281/367 HXY9-10 02-Jul-1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM