Monument record SUE 093 - Oyster beds of probable Post Medieval date are visible as earthworks on the eastern bank of the River Alde, Sudbourne
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 44572 51393 (149m by 668m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A large number of interconnected oyster beds of probable Post Medieval date are visible as earthworks cut into the saltmarsh on the eastern bank of the River Alde, on aerial photographs from 1944 onwards, centred on circa TM44565139 (S1). They are not marked on either the first or second edition Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and 1904, but their alignment on the sea wall SUE 087 suggests a probable Post Medieval date for their construction (S2-3). They are clearly visible running for approximately 670m along the saltmarsh from circa TM44495172 to circa TM44625106 on photographs from 1945 to 1972 (S4-6).
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7GR/LOC355 4061-2 30-MAY-1944.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK929 4377-8 16-OCT-1945.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/1674 0126-7 04-MAR-1955.
- <S6> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/72057 009-10 24-MAR-1972.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM