Monument record HLY 096 - Roman salt production site or 'saltern'.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 35975 43212 (104m by 157m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A Roman salt production site or 'saltern' is visible as a 'red hill' on aerial photographs, centred on TM 35954325 to the south-west of Oxley Marshes in Hollesley parish. The site covers an area of 63m by 44m and is visible as a ring shaped white soilmark with an adjacent red soilmark to the west. It is not clear from the photographs whether the ring shaped soilmark is part of the saltern. (S1-S3) The interpretation of the site as a Roman salt production site was confirmed during a site visit by Linzi Everett of Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service on the 4th March 2004. The site was described as a small spread of red material and briquetage on a slight rise but around this higher area, more red was obviously present but only just being reached and turned by the plough. (S4) The full finds report was not available at the time the report was compiled. (S5)
February 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of possible ditches or channels associated with the previously recorded Roman saltern are visible on aerial photographs (S6-S7). Although it is feasible that these features have been cut into the site in the post-Roman period or alternatively that as the saltern deposit gets increasingly disturbed by the plough, that ditches pre-dating the site are producing a cropmark response.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 16th February 2016.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3643/8 (21834/28) 19-OCT-2002.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3643/11 (23282/18) 25-SEP-2003.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3543/41 (23282/23) 25-SEP-2003.
- <S4> SXS50121 Verbal communication: Everett, L.. 2002. Linzi Everett - Verbal Communication. Linzi Everett 04/03/04.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 19/03/04.
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 01-JAN-2000 ACCESSED 12-JAN-2016 (Digital).
- <S7> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 25-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 12-JAN-2016 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking to examine potential 'red hill' to the south of Kirton Creek (EXS18036)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34SW. Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Hollesley. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23666)) (ESF23666)
Record last edited
May 6 2016 10:56AM