Monument record KSG 022 - Small Post Medieval ditched square enclosure, probably defining the limits of a small plantation or wood.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 21157 44284 (456m by 126m)|
|Civil Parish||KESGRAVE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A small ditched sub-square enclosure centred on TM211442 which probably defined the limits of a small plantation or wood of post-medieval date, can be seen on aerial photographs to be located on a boundary bank of unknown date, crossing Foxhall Heath in an east-west direction for circa 475 metres, Kesgrave parish, centred on TM212443. The enclosure is an irregular polygon in shape, measuring roughly 25 to 30 metres by 30 metres, and is defined by a ditch circa 2 metres wide, and possibly an internal ditch. It is located on the northern edge of a bank circa 4 metres wide. This may form a boundary or be the remains of a raised path or causeway across the heath. The enclosure is marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884, but remains visible on the Ordnance Survey 1:10560 map of 1958 (S1, S2). It therefore is probably post-medieval in origin but continued in use to a relatively recent date. The bank is not marked as such on the First or Second Edition maps, but may be related to footpaths which are and are partly on a similar alignment (S3). A post-medieval date is also probable for the bank. By 1951 these features have been damaged by the development of Foxhall Stadium. (S4, S5)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560. 1958.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2534 3058-9 24-MAR-1948.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 56/637 5004-5 19-APR-1951.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 24 2019 11:59AM