Monument record BYG 001 - The Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 674 530 (188m by 221m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BRADLEY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat. Large, rectangular, dry, unoccupied. S of church (adjoining)(S1). Surveyed 1983, see (S2).
9/2/2001: Scheduled, detail in (S3).
Likely location for Great Bradley manor due to remains of moat and location near village church. (S5)
1066 manor of 7 carucates held by Ulf, a thane.
1086 manor of 7 carucates belonged to Robert of Tosney and held by him.
1088 Held by Robert de Todeni, Lord of Belvoir castle.
C12th/13th Dispute of ownership by Bigot family.
C14th H. de Lopham owns.
1305 Granted to Sir J. Boteturte.
1390 Sir H. Burnell owns.
1524 B. Brokes by owns.
1609 Sir J. Peyton linked to WIX.
1764 T. Brand, Lord Dacre owns.
1851 Lordship, by Royal Licence, authgorised to take surname and arms of Trevor.
1909 2nd Viscount Hampden owns. (S5)
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S3).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL65SE1.
- <S2> SSF10084 (No record type): JHDAG, 3, 1984, (3), 140-1, 155.
- <S3> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling Information.
- <S4> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 674 532, JEF 11-12, 24 July 1992.
- <S5> SSF59004 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Great Bradley.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 11 2019 7:44AM