Scheduled Ancient Monument: BLYTHBURGH PRIORY (SF215)

Find out more about .

Suffix SF215
Date assigned
Date last amended


Remains of Blythburgh Priory. Small Augustinian priory founded circa 1125 as a dependency of St Osyth's, Essex with 3 canons. They increased to possibly six but numbered four at the Priory's dissolution in 1537. See (R4) for charter information. In 1850 the ruins of what appeared to be a cross-aisled building were robbed of material to repair roads etc. Building well known from C18 and C19 engravings. All that now remains upstanding are parts of the crossing and a length of nave wall, up to 12 feet high, largely casework and flint but some earlier survives. The claustral buildings were on the S side now under ornamental gardens. Remains have also been found in the ploughed field to the N. Sherds of Ipswich ware have also come from the vicinity.

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file.



Grid reference Centred TM 4521 7539 (85m by 89m)
Map sheet TM47NE

Related Monuments/Buildings (7)

Record last edited

Jul 19 2012 3:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.