Site Event/Activity record ESF21217 - Evaluation - Land off Moulton Road, Newmarket
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Location||Land off Moulton Road, Newmarket, Suffolk (MUN 023-028)|
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6737 6436 (1739m by 480m) (6 map features)|
|Civil Parish||MOULTON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
An evaluation was carried out prior to the erection of a stud farm. The site is situated to the west of the small settlement of Moulton, which lies within the district of Forest Heath, Suffolk. The brief and specification note that the site lies within an area with an un-quantified archaeological component due to a lack of archaeological work carried out in the vicinity. 5 areas were evaluated; 2 of which revealed archaeological evidence (Areas A and D) whilst 3 contained no finds or features. The evaluation revealed a moden rubbish pit (Area B tr. 9 F10008), a pit (Area A Tr.6 F1010) and the truncated remains of an inverted collared urn/food vessel (Area D Tr. 11) (S1).
- <S1> SSF54177 Unpublished document: Mundin, A. and Weston, P.. 2006. An Archaeological Evaluation, Land off Moulton Road, Newmarket, Suffolk..
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- MUN 025 Findspot of a Bronze Age colloared urn, Area D, Moulton Road (Find Spot)
- MUN 024 Negative evaluation trenching at Site B, Moulton Paddocks (Revoked Record)
- MUN 026 Negative evaluation trenching, Area F, Moulton Road (Revoked Record)
- MUN 027 Negative evaluation trenching, Area I, Moulton Road (Revoked Record)
- MUN 028 Negative evaluation trenching, Area J, Moulton Road (Revoked Record)
- MUN 023 Prehistoric features, Area A, Moulton Road (Monument)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2022 4:39PM