Monument record IKL 026 - Mitchell's Hill, Icklingham (Roman)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7775 7229 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Roman (& Sax) inhumations from Mitchell's Hill Presumably mostly found during gravel digging.
1851: J Warren states that he had many principally Rom antiquities from the site - "Skeletons are sometimes found there and many very large nails ... sometimes Roman pottery... a few Saxon antiquities". His finds include 2 twisted wire bracelets, coin of Faustina & bracelets (S1).
Also (in ? Evans Collection) in OXFAS (The Warren Collection was sold to Evans) is a Rom spoon and 13 Rom coins (S2,S4).
1878: Prigg records (& excavated?) " a late Roman interment at Mitchell Hill" having iron coffin nails (S5). A `Romano-Saxon' pot forms part of the Prigg Collection in Moyses Hall Museum. Another is in the Ashmolean Museum "from a grave at the E end of the cemetery" (S2,S3).
Also Palaeolithic, Bronze Age & Saxon records.
- <S1> SSF22838 Article in serial: Warren J. 1866. Title?. Warren J, The Warren Journals, 1866, 68.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE38.
- <S3> SSF50201 Bibliographic reference: Fox C. 1923. The Archaeology of the Cambridge Region. Fox C, Archaeol of the Cambridge Region, 1923, 93-94 & 97.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, A/S, undated.
- <S5> SSF16579 Article in serial: H.S. Cuming ESQ., F.S.A.SCOT. (V.P.) & T. Morgan ESQ., F.S.A (Hon. Treasurer). 1878. Proceedings of the Association. Prigg H, J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 34, 1878, 250.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2021 4:31PM