Find Spot record MNL 946 - Cross Bank, Mildenhall, (Palaeolithic, Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 66 80 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1889: Mesolithic tranchet axe, (S6).
Pre 1912: Fully Bifacial Leafpoint of Earliest Upper Palaeolithc (LRJ) age. Whilst Pettitt and White (2012:386) place this as the Cross Bank in Cambridgeshire (presumably North of Shippea Hill) Smith (1931:32) mentions that it was from 4.5 miles (7.2km) North West of Mildenhall in and Sturge (1912:229) confirms that it was found in Mildenhall Fen in Suffolk. Contemporary OS maps shows a semi-circular bank feature marked as “Cross Bank” (MNL 527) just South of cross bank farm. Along or close to this linear feature is likely where this find came from.
Findspot is approximate.
- <S1> SSF21387 Bibliographic reference: Smith, R.A. 1931. Sturge Collection.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S3> SSF56339 Bibliographic reference: Pettitt, P.B. & White, M.J.. 2012. The British Palaeolithic: Human Societies at the Edge of the Pleistocene World.
- <S4> SSF56333 Unpublished document: Cutler, Hannah. 2013. Understanding Late Middle Palaeolithic Neandertal Landscape-use during Short-Term Occupations in Britain.
- <S5> SSF16624 Article in serial: Sturge, W. A.. 1912. Implements of the Later Palæolithic “Cave” Periods in East Anglia.
- <S6> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11542.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2021 9:28AM