Building record ADB 016 - Small tower windmill, Fort Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4645 5592 (19m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Small tower windmill, converted into a house in 1902. It had four patent sails, two pairs of stones and a fantail, all of which have gone, the domed cap alone remaining (S1). Shown on Greenwood's map of 1824. Now known as Fort Green (S2)(S3)(S4).
At Fort Green at the south end of the main street, Aldeburgh. Only the tower remains of the mill, and was incorporated into a house in 1902 (see S4).
- <S1> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. Issue 110 (Aug 2010),.
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S2> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint, B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S3> SSF5275 (No record type): Dolman P C J, letter, May 1990.
- <S4> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. August 2010, Issue no. 110, p. 5.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59798 Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
- <S7> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. Recorded by MJ Barnard, Aug-1969, Record No.268414.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 12:42PM