Monument record OUS 002 - Church of St Peter
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7360 5959 (52m by 77m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||OUSDEN, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church of St Peter. Tripartite church with central tower. Norman nave, tower, S doorway and part of N doorway. Also C13 work. Chancel & N Chapel are C19 brick (S1)(S2).
1993: Thin red tiles/brick in relieving arch above Norman tympanum of S doorway may be Roman (2.5-3cm thick and 25-28.7cm long)(S3).
Taken from NRHE record:
The tower and nave of the church are 12th century (The castellated parapet of the tower is later). The chancel and a memorial pew (now used as a vestry) on the north side were built in the 18th century. The nave was extended some 19 ft in 1850. The church is of flint and stone rubble with dressed stone quoins.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1975 ed, 387.
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 337.
- <S3> SSF19466 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, October 1993.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2021 8:54AM