Monument record SYL 005 - Syleham Mill; Syleham Toll Bridge; Syleham Drabbet Company (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2130 7917 (101m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SYLEHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Water mill, ? rebuilt (on site of Sax & Med mill?) in mid C16, following dissolution of monasteries, by miller, who purchased site and toll bridge. Details with (S1)(S4) & other documentary sources. Former water mill converted to a weaving mill in 1839 from a corn mill with six pairs of stones, two wheels, 6 feet tall (S2).
`In this parish is a water and steam mill for the manufacture of linen drabbets and ready-made clothing. It belongs to the Syleham Drabbet Co' (S3). Top portion burnt down circa 1920s. Factory rebuilt on top (S1). Also Med.
- <S1> SSF21966 (No record type): Syleham Parish Council (Miss Brown), October 1990.
- <S2> SSF22723 (No record type): Wailes R, Suffolk Watermills, 1964-1965.
- <S3> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 464.
- <S4> SSF122 (No record type): Aldewell S W H, A Short History of Syleham, 1936, ms, SRO PRC 644.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 8 1990 12:00AM