Monument record STN 029 - Site of 20th century labour camp at High Lodge

Please read our .

Summary

High Lodge was the location of a labour camp, established in the late 1920s to provide retraining for the unemployed, and a source of labour for the Forestry Commission. The camp is visible still intact on 1940s aerial photographs, and appears to have remained in some sort of use at least until the end of the Second World War. Traces of the camp have been identified on the ground.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8108 8508 (198m by 271m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL88NW
Civil Parish SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Site of 1930s labour camp - `High Lodge Hostel' (S1), for `retraining' the unemployed in the 1930's. For social history - see (R1).
1991: Site visit located building remains at S end of site, slight earthworks defining N & W side of square and large outer bank and outside ditch along, and beyond!, E side of area of camp. This large ditch may relate to the track shown here on Hodskinson's 1783 map, although looks too well defined. Brick built structure built into W side of this bank. No other trace of original huts etc.
TL 8115 8516: Trial excavation prior to erection of FC visitor centre, located numerous building remains in topsoil in form of asbestos, brick & iron fragments (S2).
October 1991: fieldwalking following light rotavation located scatter of brick and concrete to E & S of central trackway. Also thin scatter of gunflint production waste, especially in area of new visitor centre to N. No trace of Rom site, however 2 sherds Preh pottery found - see Preh. Also Rom scatter, STN 002, within area of camp.

October 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The 1920s to 1930s labour camp described above is visible as extant structures and earthworks on 1940s aerial photographs (S3)-(S5). It has not been mapped in detail but the main area of structures has been mapped by extent. Beyond these are a number of earthwork enclosure which appear to be associated with the camp, or with High Lodge Farm to its south, but could instead be earlier features. Signs of activity suggest that the camp remained in use during the Second World War, perhaps by the military, or by forestry workers. A pair of possible air raid shelters are visible as earth-covered structures to the east of the main area of buildings (at TL 8118 8513).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 27th October 2017.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, 1950.
  • <R1> (No record type): Colledge D, Labour Camps - The British Experience, 1990.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report.
  • <S2> (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, site report, April 1991.
  • <S3> Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/LA/227 FS 2152-2153 17-APR-1945 (HEA Original Print).
  • <S4> Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 RS 4005-4006 07-JUN-1946 (HEA Original Print).
  • <S5> Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/2021 RS 4064-4064 21-APR-1947 (HEA Original Print).

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (4)

Record last edited

Jan 12 2018 4:33PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.