Monument record BAW 030 - Earthworks of probable medieval to post medieval date in Grove Wood (site 10/4/4)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3409 3990 (117m by 175m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (12)
- EARTHWORK (Unknown date)
- FEATURE (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
- SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
- SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- STOCK ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD?)
- RABBIT WARREN? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
- STOCK ENCLOSURE? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
Bank and ditched complex of earthworks covering about 350 sq m. Identified by R J & J S Burrows-Ellis, 10 April 1986 (S1). For site report see (S3). Adjoins Med pot scatters, BAW 005 & BAW 038.
Earthworks are visible in the field just to the south of the wood. They consist of a ditch and bank feature on a gentle slope which may have formed a square enclosure. (S4) (S5) (S6)
March 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The earthworks previously recorded on the ground –which are obscured from view on the aerial photographs due to tree cover – are viable on the 2m DTM lidar imagery of the site (S7). The features visible are broadly consistent with those recorded on the ground (S3). However additional earthworks have been recorded within the northern part of the site, including a possible northern ditch suggesting a possible square enclosed area. The interpretation of the earthworks is uncertain, but as (S3) suggests it is feasible that they relate to medieval date occupation, as suggested by 12th to 15th century fields to the immediate west and east of the site (BAW 005 & BAW 038). Although the alterative interpretation of a warren or similar stock management site is also a possibility.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 16th March 2016.
- <S1> SSF2975 Unpublished document: Burrows-Ellis R & J. 1990. Bawdsey sites and monuments. Burrows-Ellis R & J, `Bawdsey sites & monuments', ms, unpublished, circa 1990.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S2> SSF21266 (No record type): Simper R, per SAU (Newman J), Finds ID record, 1994, map.
- <S3> SSF18090 (No record type): SAU (Newman J), site report, sketch plan and section, February 1995.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 4084 23-SEP-1945.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/839 5124 11-MAR-1952.
- <S6> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65097 071 06-NOV-1965.
- <S7> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM3439 Environment Agency 2m DTM 03-OCT-2012.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (JN) (Ref: SAU (JN)) (ESF12954)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34SW. Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Hollesley. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23666)) (ESF23666)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2016 10:54AM