Building record ARG 010 - Thorpeness Mill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 468 598 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Thorpeness Mill. This post mill with roundhouse was originally built in 1803 at Aldringham (TM 443 608) - see ARG 011, where it drove two pairs of stones in the head. It was moved to its present site in 1922/3 and converted into a hollow post mill so that it could drive a well pump to serve the village. The work was carried out by Ted Friend and Amos Clarke and it replaced an iron wind engine on the site. It worked until about 1940 and was restored by Jameson Marshall Ltd in 1976/7. In 1977 the County Council bought the mill, converting the roundhouse into an information centre for Suffolk Heritage Coast. There are four patent sails and a fantail, the pump being driven from a short layshaft driven by bevels from the upright shaft (S1)(S2)
Related Archives/Objects from NRHE
BF103413 Thorpeness Windmill, Aldringham cum Thorpe
- --- SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF103413 Thorpeness Windmill, Aldringham cum Thorpe.
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 51.
- <R1> SSF59796 Bibliographic reference: R, J. Brown. 1976. Windmills of England.
- <R2> SSF59795 Bibliographic reference: John Vince. 1984. Discovering Windmills.
- <S2> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S3> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. August 2010.
- <R3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R4> SSF59797 Index: Suffolk Coastal District Council. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 79.
- <R5> SSF59798 Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
- <R6> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2021 9:22AM