Monument record LMD 071 - Little Park (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Little Park - smaller of the two deer parks of the Abbots of Bury St Edmunds in Long Melford (see also LMD 069).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 877 463 (588m by 691m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL84NE
Civil Parish LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Little Park - smaller of the two deer parks of the Abbots of Bury St Edmunds in Long Melford (see also LMD 069). Mentioned in 1386 and marked (named as Little Parke) on a map of 1580 (S1). Now disparked but most of the boundary seems to be extant.
Adjoined the medieval warren - see LMD 072.
Note: Adjoins `Lodge Farm' at TL 875 467.
April 1988: Fieldwalked by Mike Hardy - only Med finds 1 sherd St Neots ware (S2) . Also mound in east corner - see LMD 119.
See also (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Small Store (SAU). Long Melford Bypass Archive.
  • <S1> (No record type): Dymond D & Johnstone G, Israel Amyce's Map of Melford Manor 1580, n.d. but circa 1990.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Hardy M, Long Melford Bypass fieldwalking archive, April 1988, map.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. (ed). 2007. The Medieval Park: New Perspectives. Hoppitt R, 'Hunting Suffolk's Parks: towards a reliable chronology of imparkment' 92, 157, 159.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 27 2018 3:13PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.