Monument record TNG 014 - Park Farm Quarry; Dovehouse Park (Tithe) (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 423 729 (187m by 139m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||THORINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
October 1991: Rom ?industrial oven etc., revealed in gravel diggings (S1). Salvage excavation followed removal of up to 1m of topsoil/subsoil. Features identified due to dark, fine, rich fill (Preh & light filled features probably missed) including two ditches with quantities of Rom pottery, & various smaller pits. Further isolated features including pit with `baked clay bricks', probably the remains of a pottery kiln producing grey ware jars and another with baked clay fragments. Finds include a few sherds (single vessels?) of Samian and rough cast beaker, one coin (undateable) and mainly C1-C2 coarse pottery (S3).
Note located in dog leg in? Rom road line - TNG 011, finds noted as 2 boxes Rom pottery & 3 boxes baked clay (S2).
- <S1> SSF19725 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, October 1991.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S2> SSF19753 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report & map, TNG 014, November 1991.
- <M2> SSF40571 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SAU, Plouviez J, finds notes, 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2012 4:00PM