Monument record DAL 012 - Church of St Mary

Please read our .

Summary

St Mary's church, Dalham, is isolated to N of the parish and present village.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 7243 6255 (79m by 76m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL76SW
Civil Parish DALHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

St Mary's church, Dalham, is isolated to N of the parish and present village. In area ?emparked by Dalham Hall. A church was recorded here in the Domesday book. The present church consists of a chancel, nave, N & S aisles, W tower, S porch, & N chapel. Most of the existing structure was built in two phases: early/mid C14, & late C15. C14 work includes S aisle with triple arcade, trefoil & hood moulded windows, a piscina & 2 image pedestals, S doorway & S porch. The Chancel doorway & trefoiled piscina are also C14 work. The S chancel window was inserted circa 1468. The chancel walls were raised & the roof re-built in C15. The N aisle was added in C15, with triple arcade, two 2- light windows & a moulded arched doorway with original counter-boarded oak door. The roof is good with arch based principals. The S aisle roof was renewed in C15. The nave walling was raised in C15 with clerestory windows, tie-beam roof of 3 bays with king posts & principal rafters at half bays, it was restored in C19 & circa 1950. The chapel to the N of the chancel (now roofless & ruinous) contains tombs of the C18 & C19 Affleck family. The tower arch is C15; the tower was re-built after it collapsed circa 1625, in the Perpendicular style. The W window & belfry openings are also Perpendicular. The font is octagonal, limestone, circa 1625. The chancel screen has C15 wall paintings. The large E window & tie-beam roof to the chancel was renewed circa 1904. The nave pews are all C19 (S1). For references - see (S1).

Taken from NRHE record:
A church mainly built in the early to mid 14th century and in the late 15th century. It is made of flint rubble with some limestone rubble freestone dressings. The roofs are low pitched and leaded and there are crenellated parapets and parapet gables. The church consists of a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch and a north chapel. The tower was rebuilt in 1625. The south chancel window was inserted circa 1468 by the bequest of Thomas Stuteville, whose tomb stands beneath it. The chapel to the north of the chancel contains tombs of the 18th and 19th century Affleck family. There are wall monuments in the chancel, some of which are to Thomas Stuterryle who died in 1571, to Sir Martin Stuteville who died in 1631 and to John Affleck and his wife Neeltje who died in 1718 and 1729 respectively. There is also a wall monument to commemorate the Affleck family as a whole.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> (No record type): SAU, Survey of Documentary Sources.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Church File. Church survey: (S1).
  • <S2> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Forest Heath District Council. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, Forest Heath.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 2 2021 10:16AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.